CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, September 11, 2011

We are Blessed

Today was the tenth anniversary of the September 11th terrorist attacks.  D and I went to a memorial mass at Fairfield University in memory of his very close friend J.  He was one of the nearly 3000 men, women and children killed in the 9/11/01 terrorist attacks.  Even though I never had the opportunity to meet him, his death is close to home because D was very close with him and his family.  It is heartbreaking to try to imagine what that family has gone through.  He was only 23 years old. Over the past 10 years, D has kept in touch with J's mom and she just loves to talk about her son and has so many beautiful memories to share with D.  He loves to hear about them.  It is crazy to think that this is just one of almost 3000 families that had lost a love one that day. 

Last night D said to me, "10 years ago today, J went to bed having no idea that it was his last night."  It makes you realize just how precious every moment is because you never do know what is going to happen.  We really should be living each day like it is our last.  Make the most of everything.  It sounds like such a cliche, but it is true. 

I was so lucky to have had the opportunity to meet the love of my life, get married and start a family.  J never had that opportunity.  I really do take too much for granted and it's sad that it's days like this that really make me realize it.  I can't even imagine losing a husband or child and millions of people have to go through that every day.  I don't know how people get through such a loss.  I can't wrap my mind around it. 

Today was pretty typical day for Little Man and Baby. They don't know what today is and what it represents.  They don't have any idea what terrible things happen in this world.  They have no worries.  I wish I could protect them from it forever. They woke up at 5:15, ate breakfast, played inside, played outside, had a visit from one set of grandparents, took their naps, played a little more, went to their other grandparents house for Sunday dinner, came home, cuddled with D and I in bed while watching TV, read some books and went to bed around 8:00.  Lots of smiles and lots of tantrums today.  Nothing too exciting but can't imagine life any different.  It is our life and it is just perfect.  We are the lucky ones.

This was a really depressing post but it was what I was feeling and that's the point of this whole thing, right?  I love my family and I know how lucky I am. We are all happy and healthy.  Life is good.  We are so blessed.

My thoughts and prayers go out to all of those families who lost someone that terrible day. I will never forget.

No comments: