Sunday, October 30, 2011

The New Job

D has been interviewing for a different position in his company for the last couple of weeks.  He got it!  Congrats to my husband! 
It’s a promotion and more money.  Good, right? 
He found out that he got the job on Thursday and was on a flight to Chicago by Sunday at noon.  Gone for almost a whole week!  I was sick to my stomach.  He was given the job offer and was told about the mandatory trip to Chicago at the same time.  I probably should have been more excited for him but all I could think about was losing time with him.
This job does require a decent amount of travel.  Is this going to work out?  The boys and I are used to him being around a lot.  His hours were always pretty flexible and he was there for the really important, kind of important and just plain fun things.  Are these days gone? 
There is one thing I am sure of.  He is a great dad and a great husband.  He will never let work get in the way of that. This is what makes me feel a whole lot better.  He will make this work.  He always finds a way to make things better.  One of the many reasons I love him so much!
Oh and by the way, it couldn’t have been worse timing.  Both boys are sick.  We are doing the god awful nebulizer 3-4 times a day which is just a little bit exhausting.  And over the past week my perfect little part time job has become a lot more stressful which is another post all together.  So, all of this happening at once was very overwhelming to say the least.
Let’s talk about the 5 nights away from D.  It was the first time he had been away from us overnight.  We missed him terribly.  And he missed us too.  I heard it in his voice every time we talked. 
My mom was a HUGE help and slept over to help out with my kids who don’t sleep.  Thank you Mom!  Thank you God!
She even told me to get out and enjoy myself after the kids went to bed.  I took her up on that the first night and went out to dinner with a couple friends.  It was awesome.  Love the dinner and wine thing!
And the next few nights I was just too exhausted to leave.  My mom and I just got cozy in bed and watched some TV.  That was just as good!
Back to the kids…
1st night…slept through the night.  Hmmm…that’s weird.
2nd night…slept through the night.  Ok, what is going on?
3rd night…slept through the night. Mom, are you drugging my kids?!
4th night…same as above!
5th night….zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
Seriously, I make such a big deal about not sleeping and what awful sleepers my kids are and then they make big liars out of me!  I don’t have words.
I have to say, the days were tough!  The no daddy and being sick combo probably got the best of them.  If I have to hear Little Man whine for no reason at all or carry his 33lb ass around for one more second I think I am going to check myself into the nut house.  Seriously.
So we survived the several days without Daddy.  I have an amazing family helped out big time and I am so grateful for that.  I am not sure I could have done it alone!
Oh and by the way, the first night D was back we were woken several times by Little Man.  And Baby is screaming his head off in his crib at this very moment.  Mom, can you bring your magical presence back here please?

No comments: