CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

A Bad Mom Moment

I have to say, I am particularly proud of myself when I successfully take both boys on a shopping trip without any help.  A lot goes into what sounds like a pretty simple task. 
If I heard that before I was the crazy mom of a 1 and 2 year old I would think it was BS. I am here to tell you IT’S NOT! 
The to-do list before leaving the house with my little guys includes diaper changes, getting dressed, putting socks and shoes on, packing snacks and drinks, getting myself ready (which is minimal these days… it’s a good day if remember to brush my teeth) diffusing any tantrums during the entire process and getting both boys into their car seats.  By the time I am actually driving the car to our destination I feel like I have run a marathon and have sweat stains under my arm pits.
Maybe if they were more like little adults that understood all of my rationalizations and explanations of why we can’t, for example, go to the store naked chewing on a dirty diaper, it would be a little easier. 
The other day I wanted to pick up some art supplies at Michael’s.  Yes, I recently realized that I am a crafty person. 
We made it out of the house and to Michael’s in once piece.  Success.
Shopping was a bit challenging but I got what I needed and paid for it (sometimes we steal by mistake).  Success.
Walked out of the store and saw a girlfriend who also has two young children.  She gave me props for taking both kids out by myself.   That was a nice ego boost!  I was doing a pretty good job, wasn’t I!?
Got the kids into the car and we were on our way back home.  Success.
3 minutes later on I-95 Little Man says, “Mommy, my seat belt isn’t buckled!”  And then he proceeded to climb out of it.  FAILURE.
I am FREAKING out telling him to sit down and to wait for me to pull over. 
He thinks this is absolutely hysterical.
 I want to die.  Do I pull over on the highway?  Do I get off the next exit? What if…what if…what if???
I am just waiting to pass a police officer who sees a two year old crawling around my backseat. 
I got off the next exit which was about a mile away but seemed more like a million miles away.  I buckled him in and we were off again.
I was a mess about it for a couple of minutes and then we laughed about it the whole way home. 
Just when I think I am super mom, I do something that puts me right back into that normal mom category…
At least I hope I am not the only moron who forgets to buckle their kids into their car seats.

No comments: